Sunday, August 23, 2015

Mixed Media Collage

Ok, I am going to be honest.

I have never really played around with that layered mixed media style.  

It seems so complicated and mysterious.

But this summer I bought a Tim Holtz burlap wall hanging with numbers on it that seemed perfect to test the process out on.

I picked it up at the thrift store for $2.

Here is the finished product.


This dialogue is one of my favorites.

I started by using some gesso over the existing numbers/design.


I did not think to take pictures on that journey.

Only the destination.

I used a variety of stencils from DecoArt as well as their Media Misters.

Man, are those things awesome.  

They are so saturated with color. 

I really liked using them with the stencils.


The only part of this I tried and did not like was when I tried to use the large tree branch stencil with the yellow mister.

On this design, it just does not stand out.


I also used the One Step Crackle to add some very subtle texture.


To make the texture pop, I used a wash of black paint and then wiped away the excess.


Some little punched butterflies add some dimension as well.


This canvas sums up how I am feeling about my art lately...

I just try.

It may work, it may not.

Every little part of it teaches me something.


And every little bit of experience adds a little more wind beneath my wings.

Every attempt is a chance to soar....


I'll take it!

Thanks for stopping by....

                Linking up with these great blogs.

No comments: