Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Bonus Points For the Husband!

My husband called from work at lunch time.

His friend had some things he was going to sell and thought I might be interested.

So I hopped in the car and headed over.

What did he have, you ask....

3 boxes of chandelier crystals...

I am not kidding.

Would I be interested?

YES!!!

I forgot to take pictures of the boxes before we unwrapped them.

But here they are after....


Lots of the long dangly ones.

I have never had any of these....

I am thinking they will make amazing Christmas ornaments.

And I am making a couple wind chimes for the fellow that sold them to me for his mom and grandma.

One whole box was the smaller pieces.







They are all pretty grubby.

They have been in those boxes for a very long time in someone's basement.

Since the 1950s or so....

I know that because as I was unwrapping them I noticed the newspapers they were wrapped in...


They were almost as much fun as the crystals...


After we unwrapped them all, I read my husband the papers.  
Here are some of my favorites. 

 I did my best with the photos.  

They were so old and brittle.

 I really wanted to save them.

Let me show you some...


I wanted to show the date...June 1953 ...The Evening Bulletin from Philadelphia...

The article below was so sad...

The daughter supposedly stole a candy bar from the grocery  and Mom used a little too much corporal punishment to discipline her...


Check out the best sellers back then....


I love the old advertisements.

$4 for a dress!


There were also papers from Temple University from the late 1940s.

President Johnson welcomed the freshman class...


Old car advertisements...

No price...

 Love the picture....


Charm school for young women...

Can't say that would be a bad idea now.


This new-fangled dishwasher seems like more work to hook up and load and unload than washing the dishes would be.


Check out the headlines...




I wonder if someday our advertisements will make people nostalgic.




Those hats were quite the fashion statement.





Doesn't she look fancy?


Taking Arthur Murray dance lessons could make you popular on vacation...


New luggage, anyone?


Meat prices...


I saved my favorite for last.

A tuition increase for fall.

Ready for it?

$380!

Up $34 from last time.

If only.....


I flattened them all out and sandwiched them in a big book to try to save them.

The wrapping was as much fun as the crystals.

Good Job, Husband!

Mega points for you!

Thanks for stopping by...

No comments: